Chancellor's Advisory Council
Agendas and Meeting Summaries
CHARGE, PURPOSE AND GROUND RULES
The Chancellor's Advisory Council (CAC) is the primary district-wide, participatory governance leadership team that advises the chancellor on institutional planning, budgeting, and governance policies and procedures affecting the educational programs and services of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District. Members of the CAC advise and make recommendations to the chancellor regarding district goals and priorities that are of major importance to the district in providing opportunity and promoting quality, integrity, accountability and sustainability in carrying out the mission and goals of the district.
PHILOSOPHY & MISSION
We believe in the principles of openness, honesty, fairness, objectivity, and collegiality in policy development, planning, and budgeting. We adhere to the consensus model in conducting the business of the CAC. We expect that major district policies and procedures stemming from our mission, exclusive of those that are collectively bargained, be first submitted in draft form to the appropriate district governance groups most affected and then reviewed by the campus and/or district constituencies prior to action by the CAC. It is especially important that the 11 points agreed to in the participatory governance charter between the Academic Senates and the Trustees be acknowledged to avoid duplication of efforts and confusion. We adhere to the principles of clear, open, and honest communication and consultation, and we believe that every member of the CAC has the right to express his or her views on all issues under deliberation. We also are cognizant and respectful of the purpose and goals of the district's governance constituencies, and believe we can play a major role in coordinating and disseminating district-wide information to those we represent, and to the community we serve.
The mission of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District is used to guide the work of the CAC as follows:
The mission of the Foothill - De Anza Community College District is student success. We accomplish this by providing access to a dynamic learning environment that fosters excellence, opportunity and innovation in meeting the diverse educational and career goals of our students and communities.
To advise and consult with the Chancellor on district-wide governance, institutional planning and budgeting, policies and procedures to promote the educational mission and goals of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District.
• Each member will maintain and promote a focus that is based on district strategic priorities rather than personal, constituency or college interests.
• Each member will represent his/her constituency with accuracy and truthfulness, presenting data as completely as possible and not selectively withholding information.
• Each member will communicate a clear understanding of the issues and any CAC recommendations to his/her constituency.
• Each member will honor the agenda and be prepared to participate in the entire meeting.
• Each member will keep the discussion focused on the issues, not on the person presenting them, nor on items not immediately relevant to the topic.
• Each member will encourage full and open participation by all CAC members and make a concerted effort to avoid discussions that are dominated by a few people.
• Each member will welcome and solicit diverse opinions and viewpoints, remembering that disagreements are acceptable, often leading to good decision-making.
• Each member will practice "active" listening skills in order to avoid pre-formulated responses, interruptions and sidebar conversations.
• Each member will base his/her interpersonal behavior on the assumption that we are all people of goodwill, ensuring that interactions within and outside the CAC meetings are consistent with expectations of discretion and respect for individual and institutional integrity.
• Each member will honor and acknowledge the contributions of individuals as well as the accomplishments of the whole team, regardless of the level of controversy in the discussion or its outcome.
Approved by consensus of the Chancellor's Advisory Council 11/7/03, Reaffirmed 10/19/12
President, De Anza College
President, Foothill College
Vice Chancellor of Human Resources
Vice Chancellor of Business Services
Vice Chancellor of Technology
President, De Anza Academic Senate
President, District Academic Senate
President, Foothill Academic Senate
President, De Anza Classified Senate
President, Foothill Classified Senate
President, Administrative Management Association
President, CSEA, Chapter 96
President, Faculty Association
Representative, Operating Engineers
President, Multicultural Staff Association
List of CAC Members
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 at 9:06:51 AM
©2014 Foothill-De Anza Community College District